A brief description that summarizes the overall purpose and objectives of the position and the results the worker is expected to accomplish.
The Senior Business Intelligence (BI) Specialist is responsible for the maintenance and development of business intelligence applications. Identifies, researches, and resolves technical problems. Ensures that the use of business intelligence applications enhances business operations and decision making capabilities.
The tasks, duties and responsibilities of the position that are most important to get the job done.
Develop within the Microsoft BI Platform, assisting the Manager, Applications Development to ensure that BI solutions adhere to industry best practices from technical, performance and design perspectives;
- Extensive experience with SSIS, SSRS, SSAS and Power BI design and development;
- Maintain quality and integrity of data warehousing processes including: data validation and error reporting, load management, scheduling, performance monitoring and tuning;
- Lead complex business intelligence projects – including analysis, project management, design, development, testing & implementation;
- Design and develop strategic enterprise-level reporting solutions including web-based reports, self-service solutions and dashboards. Assist in implementing effective business analytics practices that drive improved decision-making, efficiency and performance;
- Monitor and resolve issues related to the Microsoft Business Intelligence platform;
- Provide technical expertise in support of the multiple relational database management systems that host the company’s ERP and application system;
- Provide data integration, querying and reporting assistance to other departments as needed;
- Identify, communicate, and resolve data quality and data reconciliation issues;
- Participate with team in planning and problem resolution;
- Protect confidential information;
- Follow established (PDC) IT Operational procedures and objectives;
- Maintain a positive image when dealing with other PDC employees;
Perform and assume other duties and responsibilities as may be required at the direction of the Lead Business Intelligence Specialist.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The specific minimum competencies required for job performance.
Knowledge of Data Warehousing, Data Architecture and Design concepts with practical experience in the implementation of these concepts;
Ability to evaluate and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations; Excels at uncovering hidden trends in a volume of data; Strong problem determination and resolution skills;
Demonstrate a willingness to commit additional time and effort necessary during periods of heavy workload in order to meet project milestones and implementation deadlines;
Detail oriented and organized with an ability to meet deadlines;
Self-motivated, able to work within a project-based environment;
- Demonstrated history of functioning independently while working well in a team oriented environment, taking the initiative to be productive and efficient;
- Ability to effectively communicate with users of diverse backgrounds and skill levels from the novice user to the expert programmer;
- Preferred Skills (though not required):
Oil & Gas Industry experience;
- Experience with BOLO, Peloton, Aries and Merrick systems data;
- Experience with SQL Azure and cloud technologies;
- Expereince with SharePoint;
- Experience with the E&P business model;
- Spotfire administration and/or development;
- SASS/multidimentional cube development;
- PowerPivot support and development experience.
The scope of the person’s authority, including a list of jobs that report to the incumbent.
There are no supervisory responsibilities associated with this position.
The environment in which the job is performed, especially any unique conditions outside a normal office environment.
Consistent with that of a normal office environment.
The minimum level of education, experience, and certifications required to perform the job.
- Bachelors degree in a relevant field required;
- Minimum 5 years in business intelligence/data warehousing environments and overall IT experience;
- MS SQL Server 2014 (or later), Integration Services (SSIS) and Reporting Services (SSRS) required;
- Strong T-SQL skills and understanding of views, data aggregation/manipulation through table joins/queries;
- Dashboard development through Power BI and/or Spotfire;
- Demonstrated experience in data extraction and manipulation, ETL techniques required;
Demonstrated knowledge of Business Intelligence areas including ETL design, analytics, and reporting.