A brief description summarizing the overall purpose and objectives of the position and the results the worker is expected to accomplish.
This position serves as the coordinating mechanism for the flow of financial data and information across the organization, maintaining consistent messaging and presentation; manages the timely synthesis and production of critical financial reports; ensures a central “source of truth” for financial information.
The tasks, duties, and responsibilities of the position that are most important to get the job done.
- Manage the flow of financial information across the organization, ensuring that all parties have the right information at the right time;
- Provide a central data “source of truth” for financial information;
- Evaluate financial information and summarize major themes for a given reporting period;
- Oversee the consolidation of key data and information into meaningful reports, e.g. the Monthly and Quarterly Financial Reports (MFR/QFR);
- Review reports produced by reporting specialists;
- Ensure consistent standards, layouts, and formats across reports and presentations;
- Apply written communication skills to supplement written explanations of data;
- Iteratively improve reports and presentations to respond to and anticipate the evolving needs of leadership and the organization;
- Apply innovative thinking to continuously improve reports and presentations and take capabilities to the next level;
- Triage and respond to requests to investigate data anomalies or discrepancies, involving other departments as needed;
- Triage requests for the Accounting Business Analyst, and help set priorities for improvement efforts;
- Manage cross-functional data-gathering processes;
- Manage the close calendar and ensure others adhere to deadlines;
- Continuously improve reporting processes, identifying redundancies and improving inefficiencies where applicable;
- Interface with departments to gather data, track deadlines, pose questions, and provide status updates;
- Facilitate key meetings to disseminate information to the organization;
- Effectively deliver presentations for executive and business audiences;
- Attend and provide meaningful input at critical financial meetings;
- Monitor progress of Accounting Business Analyst projects and interface with stakeholders as needed;
- Provide leadership and ongoing feedback and coaching for direct reports, developing staff competencies as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
The specific minimum competencies required for job performance.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain productive working relationships across the company;
- Ability to set direction and effectively lead teams of people;
- Strong communication and presentation skills;
- Ability to plan and organize work to achieve objectives, set priorities, allocate resources, and ensure deadlines are hit with an emphasis on cross-functional reporting abilities;
- Ability to express ideas effectively, organize and deliver information, and listen actively;
- Strong process tendency to seek efficiencies in processes and workflows;
- Adept at prioritizing requests and needs of stakeholder groups;
- Strong analytical and documentation skills;
- Ability to be flexible, multi-task, and prioritize work within the constraints of a deadline focused function;
- Ability to probe for answers and solve problems.
The scope of the person’s authority, including a list of jobs that report to the incumbent.
This position will have multiple direct reports.
The environment in which the job is performed, especially any unique conditions outside a normal office environment.
- Consistent of that with a normal work environment;
- Ability to travel up to 30% of the year.
The minimum level of education, experience, and certifications required to perform the job.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required, advanced degree preferred;
- 10+ years of relevant experience in corporate finance;
- Prior experience in a supervisory position preferred;
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
- Strong knowledge of the Oil and Gas industry;
- Strong knowledge of accounting systems and tools (SAP preferred).